Friday 20 February 2015

Sugar cookies



My very talented boyfriend has an art opening on the 1st March (St David's day) and has asked me to bake Welsh themed cupcakes and cookies as his art project is titled Wales in Colour. 
In preparation I am practicing sugar cookies with flood icing. I found the recipe for the cookies here however for the icing I followed the recipe on the box. 
  • Ingredients  

  • 100g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg (I used medium free range)
  • 275g plain flour
  • 1 tea spoon vanilla extract
  • For the icing
  • 250g royal icing
  • 40ml cold water
  • 2-3 drops of food colouring (optional)

  • Method

First get all your ingredients together. As this was a practice run I used lots of different cutters.

  • Cream together the butter and sugar.

  • Add the egg and vanilla extract a bit at a time.

Stir in the flour until it has a dough consistency.

  • Gather the dough together and roll into a ball. Pop it in the fridge for 10-20 minutes. Flour the surface and get ready to roll.
Roll out the dough to 1cm thick and cut out your shapes, place on a baking tray lined with partchment paper.
Place in the oven until pale golden-brown and wait until they are cooled.
Now for the icing.
I used half a box which was 250g and added 40ml water. 
Once combine with a spoon wiz together with an electric hand mixer.
If you are adding food colouring you icing use 2-3 drops. I separated mine into two bowls as I was using two different colours.
Find the tips you like to work with. I preferred the smallest one and used a zip lock bag for each. If you don't have tips you can use a zip lock bag and snip I little bit of the end off.
Time to experiment with your icing. Make an outline of your cookie and fill it with lines. Use a toothpick to circle the icing and fill the cookie. 
If you are using two different colours why not try adding dots or stripes?
As you can see below it will look like the icing on the heart but give it a rest or a few light shakes and it will sink in as the others below.
 Experiment with your icing and a toothpick.


Let you cookies set for 12 hours and enjoy.
Here is a little video to show you...click play.
Why not give it a go?

Happy baking,
Ms B
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment