Thursday 5 February 2015

Marzipan bees

Last November I made a Latvian honey cake for my partner's birthday but this post isn't about that...well kind of. It's about the little bees I made to decorate the cake. After looking in my baking books and the internet I came across this lovely video. For those of you who don't know who Frances Quinn is she the 2013 winner of the little TV baking competition The Great British Bake Off.

Ingredients 

50g orange blossom honey (I only had runny honey)
1 Tablespoon of honey blossom extract (I only had vanilla)
Orange zest and one tablespoon of the juice
One egg yolk (I used free range)
100g icing sugar 
200g ground almonds
10g dark chocolate
50g flaked almonds
Gold leaf (I use edible gold spray)


Method

Pour the honey, extract, orange zest and egg yolk in to a bowl.
Add the orange juice.
Mix until all ingredients and incorporated.
Sift your icing sugar in to the mix.
Add the ground almonds...
...until it looks like this. I popped this in the fringe for about 20/30 minuets.
Shape you mix into little bee bodys. 
Placed the almond flakes on a plate to spray them with edible gold spray to minimize mess.
Get your cake ready to see where your little bee friends can sit.
Use your melted chocolate and a toothpick to add stripes, eyes and a smiley face. use a sharp knife to make a cut either side of the bee and gently push in the almond wings. 

How cute is he?
Place your bees on and around your cake.
Make enough so everyone has their own bee.
I really enjoyed making these little bees and even though I didn't have the exact ingredients I was happy with how they turned out.
Why not give them a go?

Happy baking,
Ms B

xx





No comments:

Post a Comment