Tuesday 3 February 2015

Banana and chocolate chip loaf cake

If you are new to baking and just want to throw everything into one bowl this recipe is for you. Last week I baked an easy lemon drizzle loaf cake and I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to bake another loaf cake. I was lucky enough to come across some over ripe bananas which are perfect for baking as it will give the cake strong flavour. I looked at a few recipes but finally decided on this one as it seemed simple.


Ingredients 


  • 325g self raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 100g soft brow sugar
  • A pinch of salt
  • 175g chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 80ml milk
  • 1 egg (I used a medium free range)
  • 280g mashed banana (around 3 medium bananas)




Method

First mix all your dry ingredients. I sifted the flour and caster sugar, added the brown sugar and last of all the chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate). I only had 100g of chocolate chips however there seemed to be a good balance of banana and chocolate. If you are wondering why you add the chocolate chips at this stage it's because when chocolate chips are coated in flour it prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the mix when baking.  
Add all your wet ingredients a bit at a time. The recipe states to mash the banana however I left it chunky so when you eat it you get a flavour burst.  
It does take a bit of elbow grease if you are using a wooden spoon like I was but be careful not to over mix just mix until all the flour is incorporated
Line a loaf tin with parchment paper by buttering the tin before hand, this acts like a food glue. The parchment paper help you to remove the loaf once baked.
Pour you yummy mix into the tin, give it a little tap on the top to get rid of any air bubbles and smooth the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula. 
Pop it in the oven at 180 for about an hour. I have a fan oven so I baked it at 160 and turned it round half way through.
Test the cake by using a skewer or a knife, if it comes out with a few crumbs it's ready. Take it out the tin and place it on a cooling rack. Serve warm with ice cream or once cooled just as it is.
With chunky banana pieces and less chocolate than expected I was surprised that this turned out so well. So well in fact that my partner didn't want to share with anyone else!
If you want to try an easy bake why not give this a go?

Happy baking,
Ms B

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment