Monday 9 February 2015

Gravity-defying cake

 I was so excited to make a gravity-defying cake as not only do they look amazing but I believe they will be very popular in 2015.
Luckily it was my brother-in-laws birthday this weekend so it was a prefect excuse to make one. Last year I made him a chocolate cake which can be seen in an previous post 'Decorating for a chocolate addict' so this year I wanted to up my game with a chocolate gravity defying cake.
I started with a basic chocolate sponge, the recipe for this can be found here

I then covered it in a basic chocolate butter icing it didn't have to be very neat at this stage as it was the first coat.
As the cake was a thick layer the chocolate fingers would be too big so I chopped them in half. 
I placed another layer of chocolate butter cream around the boarder of the cake bit by bit and added the yummy chocolate fingers.


First I started by scattering giant a standard size chocolate buttons on top of the cake make sure to leave a space for the straw.
I used a wooden skewer and a straw to make the mount (illusion shattered, sorry). I used a skewer as well as a straw to make it more stable. I think a cake-pop stick would have been better but you have to work with what you've got.
Another benefit to using a straw is the chocolate butter icing sticks to it.
After I had a few buttons on there I started to dab the butter icing on the back of the buttons to help it stick.
To stick the bag on I dabbed some butter icing to one top corner of the bag and held it for a while. I made sure some buttons were in the bag to give the poring effect more realistic.
After a few more bags of buttons the cake was ready.
I was very happy with my first attempt and couldn't believe how easy it was! I now have Defying Gravity from the musical Wicked stuck in my head...but that's not a bad thing.
There are lots of ideas on the internet you can go for if you have a birthday coming up or know someone who does.
Why not give it a go?

Happy baking,
Ms B 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment