Monday 6 October 2014

Chocolate orange cake

A while a go I made some yummy chocolate orange cupcakes. I liked the recipe so much I thought I would adapt it into a cake.
So the first step I made was doubling the original recipe.

Ingredients

230g (8oz) butter 
230g (8oz) caster sugar
230g (8oz) self raising flour
2 medium eggs
Zest of 1 orange 
2 tablespoons orange juice

The method is the same (see here) as the cupcakes however, this time I split the mix in a 8" sandwich tin.
While it was baking I made some orange butter cream so the cake wasn't overpowered by chocolate. I have got into a habit of just winging butter icing. I start by using two cups of soft butter then adding twice as much icing sugar. A little bit of orange juice and some zest of orange. Using an electric mixer on full power for 5 minutes adding icing sugar until I couldn't taste the butter anymore.


Once the cake was cool I added the butter icing.

Now for the topping. I had ready made chocolate icing already open so I used that and then I added canned mandarin orange to make it pretty. I chose canned as the segments looked nicer than cut up orange.

I took it to a BBQ and I'm pleased to say that it didn't last long. The photo below was after just 5 minutes.


Have you every adapted a cupcake recipe into a cake? Or if you have ever wanted that chocolate orange taste in a cake why not give it a go?
Happy baking,
Ms B
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment