Saturday 11 October 2014

How to bake without scales

A sad day came when I lined up all my ingredients to make my first ever muffins and the battery in my scales died :( 
After a day of being grumpy I decided to go against my usually 'everything needs to be exact' ways and when old school by using measuring cups. 
Luckily I have two sets, the standard measuring cups and these cute Russian doll measuring cups.

I decided to make some blueberry and almond muffins as I love both blueberries and almonds so this was a no brainer. I found this recipe on Life Style Food and it just happened to be a Mary Berry recipe! 
I converted the measurements into cups and hoped for the best.
This recipe includes buttermilk and this was the first time I've ever used it resulting in a supermarket staff member and myself hunting it down.


For those of you who are wondering what the difference is between a cupcake and muffin mix it's the way you mix the ingredients. For a cupcake you start with beating the butter and sugar then add in the rest of the ingredients. For a muffin you mix all the wet ingredients and then all the dry ingredients separately before combining together.    

The last ingredient to go in is the fresh blueberries. These are one of my favorite fruits and paired with flaked almonds just gave the muffins a mix of crunchy texture. The blueberries exploded in the muffins which give a pocket of flavour.     



I took some of these into work and I froze some too and they turned out better than I expected (as this was my first time baking muffins).
What's your favorite muffin flavour? 
If you are baking muffins for the first time why not try this Merry Berry recipe?

Happy baking
Ms B
xx


  

No comments:

Post a Comment